RE: Copyright-fair use segment vs. off air rules

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

No, Steve.

The time parameters being cited here have nothing to do with the "fair
comment" provisions of the law. They are those established by the
Consortium of College and University Media Centers and other as part of the
Fair Use Guidelines for Multimedia (see
http://www.indiana.edu/~ccumc/mmfairuse.html) (these were finally agreed
upon and released as part of the ill-fated CONFU proceedings; the American
Library Association and others felt them to be overly restrictive and
refused to sign on).

The notion of fair use as it applies to educational institutions is in no
way related to the fair use invoked by filmmakers in "quoting" segments as
part of films.

Gary

UC Berkeley 94720-6000