Re: Copyright-fair use segment vs. off air rules

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

Those quantified strictures ("less of 3 minutes or 10%") are from the CCUMC
multimedia Fair Use guidelines. And that's what they are: Guidelines (NOT
law!)(http://www.indiana.edu/~ccumc/mmfairuse.html)

The off-air taping part of the equation has to do with the Kastenmeir
Guidelines for off-air tape (again, they're GUIDELINES, not law)
(http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Kastenmeier.html)

The two don't really have all that much to do with each other.

I think you'd be skating on verrrrrrrrrrrry thin ice doing what you propose.

At 01:40 PM 09/12/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>Would the esteemed members (or at least those willing to venture their
>thoughts) shed some light on the "less of 3 minutes or 10%" fair use
>rule for video with regard to teacher prepared material (Hyperstudio or
>PowerPoint). In particular, do the rules for off-air taping (i.e. show
>full piece once in 30 days and parts of piece within another 15) trump
>the above fair use rule? Specific instance: teacher wishes to prepare a
>digitized video clip of 2 minutes from material taped off-air over 45
>days ago.
>Many thanks in advance!
>--
>Pierre J. Gregoire, MLIS.