Re: Adding closed-captions to videotapes

Cheryl Joyce (joyce@wbgu.bgsu.edu)
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:04:30 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

Our university has encountered this same situation several times. Our
first attempt is to purchase a transcript of the program. If a transcript
is not available, we usually hire someone to transcribe the video to make
a transcript of the program. We have, on rare occasion, hired an
interpreter, however, watching video at the same time as watching an
interpreter has been very difficult/cumbersome for most of our students.

Cheryl

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 clewis@american.edu wrote:

>> We have a deaf student who would like to be able to watch three
>videotapes
>> that we have that are not closed-captioned. I know that the Americans
>with
>> Disabilities Act requires that organizations make a reasonable
>> accommodation to insure that individuals with disabilities are treated
>> equally. The organization is only protected when an accommodation would
>> cause an undue burden (financial or otherwise). Up till now we have not
>> made any effort to add after-market closed-captions and I can't see how
>we
>> would go about it without permission of the copyright holder. But it is
>> possible to add captions to a tape and assuming a copyright holder
>granted
>> permission and the cost wasn't enormous, I feel that the law requires
>us to
>> make this kind of accommodation. Has anyone else had to address this
>yet?
>>
>> Chris Lewis
>> American U

Cheryl Joyce