Re: video covers

Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

We use those "squeeze and shake" plastic boxes for everything that comes
in a cardboard sleeve opening at the bottom. (Some open on the side.)
Everything that comes in a plastic case, such as Disney titles, stay in
the original case. We used to cut up boxes, but we just didn't have the
time and, more importantly, if we didn't do it just right, sometimes the
box wouldn't close. For preservation purposes, it's better to get all
videocassettes into plastic boxes (without the cardboard touching the
cassette it), but we're not an archival collection, so I don't worry about
it much. Your tapes will wear out before the cardboard particles cause
problems.

I always wonder why library systems don't determine all of their policies
and procedures *before* starting video collections, not afterward... Oh
well. -- Kris

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 JGOODMAN@BPL.ORG wrote:

> Hi everyone, I work at a branch of the Boston Public Library. Six months
> ago our 25 branches began buying their own videos. Previously everything
> was purchased and housed in the main library and the branches could just
> get deposits. We are all very excited by our new video collections but
> a lot of issues are coming up, like cataloging, circ limits, fines, etc.
> In the future you'll probably hear from me about these subjects. Today
> my focus is on video covers. Currently we buy the covers that open up
> (clam shells?) and we cut up the boxes to fit in the covers. This takes
> alot of processing time. So now we are considering alternatives. What
> do people think of the plastic cases that you shake the video out of?
> we need a system that is inexpensive, easy to process, and good for the
> video. I look foward to hearing your ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> Joanne Goodman

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu