Re: copyright question

Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

If you're showing two or three clips under 2 or 3 min. or so, you're
probably OK. I assume this is an academic affair, and not a wantonly
commercial undertaking. If so, the paid registration part of this equation
has nothing to do with anything. Remember: say this mantra:
"...fewer...shorter...fewer...shorter..."

Gary Handman

At 01:01 PM 08/31/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Some of my colleagues are putting together a conference presentation in
>which they'd like to show short clips from two or three feature films
>on video. They're nervous about copyright. It will be a single
>performance, but since attendees have paid a registration fee, could the
>performance be construed as a profit venture? Does anyone know what would
>be required in terms of copyright clearance for this presentation?
>
>Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
>Melanie Remy

>Melanie Remy Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Library
>Reference & Instruction Librarian University of Southern California
>Collection Development Coordinator Tel. 213.740-7044/Fax 213.740.7713
> mremy@usc.edu

UC Berkeley 94720-6000