RE: video fines

John Potter-Smith (johnps@kwantlen.bc.ca)
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, VENTURA, GERIE wrote:

> John,
> Does that take a lot of time and paperwork and energy to keep up with all
> those overdues? How do you track that?

We have an automated circulation system for Print and AV Software
(Videos). This system automatically calulates the fines and is billed for
with all the print items. The automatic billing has a built in 2-day
grace period that the patron's don't know about. But we can also enter
a Manual fine or Bill for lost items through this system. We get a daily
overdue report from the automated system. We also run a standalone
booking (reservation) system for Films and Videos. We generally waive
fines if we have not tried to contact the individual or if it has not
caused a conflict with a reservation. Our loan period for video taken out
for preview is 1-day, due back at closing. Using both systems can be a
bit of work, but it makes up for it by the automatic fines and the daily
overdue reports that are generated. By the way, we have a multi-campus (4
campuses) collection of 4,500 videos and also loan items between them.

John

* John Potter-Smith Telephone: (604) 599-2405 *
* Audiovisual Library Assistant Voice Mail: (604) 599-2222 Local 9898 *
* Facsimile: (604) 599-2106 *
* *
* E-mail: johnps@kwantlen.bc.ca MEC Requests: avmedias@kwantlen.bc.ca *
* Kwantlen University College Library *
* 12666 - 72nd Ave., Surrey, B.C., Canada, V3W 2M8 *