RE: DVD Info

Tribby, Mike (Mike.Tribby@quality-books.com)
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:14:44 -0700 (PDT)

Gary Handman wrote:

> I'll bet
>that within 2-3 years, taped movies have gone the way of 33.3rpm (the fond
>collectables of nostalgia buffs). Now about all those off-the-mainstream
>titles...I dunno...

An interesting point, Gary, especially since now many limited releases for
audiophiles come out on vinyl rather than CD because of the "warmer,"
"fuller" sound of vinyl. I think DVD is here to stay, too, but when it
comes to a New! Sexy! technology replacing an existing one, at least in the
world of entertainment, I think it is best to heed Public Enemy: Don't
believe the hype. The manufacturers will flog DVD endlessly, pointing up
its superior attributes--but they'd do that whether those attributes existed
or not. There's a ton of Disney DVDs to be moved to people who don't want
to be left behind in VHSland. And, hey! How much better will my DVD of
Intolerance really look?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.