RE: DVD Info

sdehut@linfield.edu
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:04:12 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps I didn't point out that we are a *very* small, private college, in
a town with good public library service. Our mission as an academic
library is much different than that of our public counterpart - our
collection has to relate, first and foremost, to our curriculum. Much of
what is out on DVD (and VHS for that matter) doesn't relate to our
curriculum, and so we don't collect it. Our big stumbling block is that we
don't have the $$ to outfit our classrooms with DVD as well as VHS. When
you have limited $$, it just doesn't make sense to collect a format until
you can support it with equipment in the classroom.

Sue

--On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 11:44 AM -0700 Darryl Wiggers
<Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com> wrote:

>> ..one could, of course, make the case that availability, easy access,
>> (and fervent publicity) fire demand...not the other way around. I've
>> always been a big fan of building the field of dreams, and then standing
>> by with bountiful popcorn and peanuts...
>
> A few weeks ago it was a announced that sales of DVD players had reached
> the 3 million mark.
> That's about the population size of my home city of Toronto -- a
> relatively small fraction of the rest of the continent (let alone the
> world). So what is the rest of the population suppose to do when
> libraries choose to serve the minority instead of the majority?

Susan Davis-DeHut
Director, Educ. Media Services
Linfield College
900 SE Baker Street