RE: DVD Info

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:39:46 -0700 (PDT)

Kristine,

Thank you for the perspective. I was also intrigued by San Francisco State
University's practice, as outlined by Brigid Duffy. In that circumstance it
makes a great deal of sense to have both a DVD & laser disc library (a
format which never broke away from the deep-pockets class).

Obviously I was questioning from the perspective of a circulation library.
DVDs are much more likely to be damaged through regular wear-and-tear than
VHS. And I also question an earlier claim that DVDs are "cheaper" than VHS.
I'd like to know the name of that store.

As for Frank's comment:

> A simple example: If we have patrons who are blind and do not use the
> library because they cannot read or see our videos, do make braille and
> recorded books available and market to them, or do we say, they don't use
> the library so don't order anything for them.

Is this suppose to compare with the DVD question? Are you suggesting that
someone with access to a DVD player DOESN'T have VHS? Do you serve the
person who plucks out their own eyes? Or is too stubborn to see any other
way?

Indeed, not an easy question...

By the way, I think the main reason people notice a picture quality
improvement is not so much because of the superiority of the DVD format, but
the inferior quality of their old VHS players. For the last 10 years I've
been using a high-definition monitor in conjunction with a Panasonic AG1960
S-VHS/Hi-Fi editing VCR (though any middle-range VCR is almost as good). I
find a nominal difference between a good-quality VHS tape and DVD. Hence, I
won't be replacing any titles I already have in my library in VHS with DVD.

What worries me about the seduction of this new format is that the day may
come when DVD is the only format available -- and users will be stuck
watching only those titles that have been released on DVD. Granted, I'm
quite pleased to see something like Nashville finally available in
letter-box, and will happily view it on DVD, but there's still a vast number
of titles -- especially non-Hollywood -- that I haven't seen re-released.