RE: DVD Info

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

I think one of the issues here is whether or not you circulate videos.
Most academic libraries do not. And even the libraries that do circulate
videos widely (meaning to students as well as to faculty for classroom
use) do so as an auxiliary service, not a primary service. I have never
worried about what people have at home, as I supply the equipment in the
Media Center and in the viewing rooms. As noted previously, we have 1500
laserdiscs and no one ever asked me for one -- until we had several
hundred and people were familiar with them. No one ever borrowed one to
preview at home, but they are very heavily used and preferred by many
users. I agree with Gary that promotion is one of the keys. Chris Lewis
mentioned that many of the DVDs in his collection are duplicate titles.
That's a typical pattern for a new format. Our percentage of DVD
duplicates is about the same. We did the same thing when we introduced
laserdiscs. I think you try to serve everyone. -- Kris

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Darryl Wiggers wrote:

> > ..one could, of course, make the case that availability, easy access, (and
> > fervent publicity) fire demand...not the other way around. I've always
> > been a big fan of building the field of dreams, and then standing by with
> > bountiful popcorn and peanuts...
>
> A few weeks ago it was a announced that sales of DVD players had reached the
> 3 million mark.
> That's about the population size of my home city of Toronto -- a relatively
> small fraction of the rest of the continent (let alone the world). So what
> is the rest of the population suppose to do when libraries choose to serve
> the minority instead of the majority?

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu