Re: DVD Info

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:31:44 -0700 (PDT)

"So we are waiting to expand in the DVD direction until patron demand
increases."

..one could, of course, make the case that availability, easy access, (and
fervent publicity) fire demand...not the other way around. I've always
been a big fan of building the field of dreams, and then standing by with
bountiful popcorn and peanuts...

Gary Handman

At 11:19 AM 08/22/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>We bought our first DVD last winter - we had acquired a DVD player some
>months previously for a faculty member who uses his own collection. It is
>not wildly popular - that particular faculty member is the only one who
>checks it out. So we are waiting to expand in the DVD direction until
>patron demand increases.
>
>We are planning a move into a new library/media center building within 5
>years. At that time, we will have more carrels equipped with DVD, and I
>would expect demand to accelerate. Also, because of increasing
>sophistication of the computers our students are bringing with them to
>school...... I must admit I had expected to have more demand now, but
>apparently our students either aren't equipped, or if they are, they are
>not using their computers to view DVD.
>
>Our VHS collection circulates widely at this time, and is the preferred
>format, as VCR's are much more available.
>
>Sue DeHut
>
>Susan Davis-DeHut
>Director, Educ. Media Services
>Linfield College