Re: DVD Info

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:27:54 -0700 (PDT)

In contrast to LeeAnne's perspective regarding laserdisc, I suspect that
libraries that invested in laserdiscs are *more* likely to have begun DVD
collections. We fall into that category. We like optical and value the
added features. I've been wanting a replacement format for laserdisc
for years and DVD is the only choice. We have about 1,500 laserdiscs, but
we're only buying on that format when we can't get the features we want on
DVD. We started out buying laserdisc/DVD combination players, but now
we're just buying DVD. We only have about 150 titles, but it has become
our fomat of choice for feature films, so the collection will grow.

Like Gary, I've found that classroom support for DVD is one of the biggest
drawbacks to building our collection, but that will change. I have no
idea why any academic library would stick with VHS for feature films. We
still buy them but it's our second choice, after DVD. The players are
inexpensive, the discs themselves are less expensive than VHS, the picture
and sound quality are superior, and they are vastly more durable than VHS.
I don't know what our users prefer, but in an academic setting, I think
that there are other more important considerations. -- Kris

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, LeeAnne Krause wrote:

> We've already started a small collection (about 110 titles) at our
> university, which is a relatively large sized institution. However, the
> vast majority of our patrons still feel more comfortable with vhs, and
> only a few really care about the improved picture available on DVD.
> Besides this, I think some institutions are hesitant to jump into DVD,
> if they had already invested much in laserdisks. To top it all off, it
> doesn't seem like any documentary distributors will be going the DVD
> route any time soon. So I guess what I'm saying is, if your patrons
> aren't clamoring for DVD's, it may not be necessary to make the
> investment in the collection yet... Just my 2 cents.
>
> LeeAnne Krause
> U. of South Carolina Film Library

> Greetings to all,
> We are currently investigating the possible establishment of a DVD
> collection (as an addition to our existing video collection). Does
> anyone know where I could find more information on the current status of
> DVD at academic libraries, in particular smaller and medium sized
> college libraries? Has the DVD format now found wide-spread acceptance,
> or are most libraries still waiting for an increase in patron demand and
> a greater variety in available DVD titles? For those that already carry
> the DVD format, what are your experiences?
> Thanks for any insight,
>
> Peter Rieseler
> Research and Instructional Services Librarian, Hartwick College, NY
> E-Mail rieselerp@hartwick.edu
> Fax: (607) 431-4457

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu