Re: DVD Info

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

We currently have around 400 DVD titles in our collection--mostly
international film canon and stuff that's used heavily for classes. It is
wildly popular. The big pitfall in most academic libraries is the yawning
gap between collections and classroom technology. I've beat our Office of
Media Services (the wire wonks on campus) over the head about installing
more DVD players in classrooms, and I think they've finally taken note.

Faculty (generally) love this stuff (the random access feature is cat nip
to em'!).

There is no published information re the status of DVD collections in
academic libraries. If you go back into the videolib archives
(http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/VideoLib/archive.html) I think there has been
some discussion from this quarter in the past.

Good luck.

At 08:31 AM 08/22/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings to all,
>We are currently investigating the possible establishment of a DVD
>collection (as an addition to our existing video collection). Does
>anyone know where I could find more information on the current status of
>DVD at academic libraries, in particular smaller and medium sized
>college libraries? Has the DVD format now found wide-spread acceptance,
>or are most libraries still waiting for an increase in patron demand and
>a greater variety in available DVD titles? For those that already carry
>the DVD format, what are your experiences?
>Thanks for any insight,
>
>Peter Rieseler
>Research and Instructional Services Librarian, Hartwick College, NY
>E-Mail rieselerp@hartwick.edu
>Fax: (607) 431-4457

UC Berkeley 94720-6000