Re: Audio question

Jan Derks (jderks@ald.lib.co.us)
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

--------------0917D35498F60A68B0648053

Lucy - We use 130-140 circs as the longest time we keep an audio, based on experience
that we usually begin replacing individual cassettes in a set at about 75 circs and
need to replace most of the set by 130 circs. In our multi-branch library system we
may weed a copy at our highest-circulating library after a couple of years due to
high circ while a copy at another branch may only have 20 circs after that same
period. In a multi-branch system the downside of using one number for all libraries
is that high-circulating libraries have a fresher collection than a low-circulating
library.To avoid a stagnant collection, a branch that circs an audio title 4 times a
year should really have a completely different number used for weeding than a branch
that circulates a title 15 times a year. If your branches are clamoring for a circ
number to use as a weeding guideline, consider developing a circ number specific to
each branch, based on the circulation of audio in that particular community. You can
apply this principle to all A/V formats in a branch. Circ numbers as a weeding
guideline can be very helpful, as long as the library continues to weed less-popular
titles despite their circ numbers, continues to offer new titles to prevent a
stagnating collection and makes sure that a popular title or author continues to be
available through another means. Audio usage in a specific community is the best
determinant of the circ number used to weed a title.

--
Jan Derks
AV Collection Development Librarian

--------------0917D35498F60A68B0648053 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> Lucy - We use 130-140 circs as the longest time we keep an audio, based on experience that we usually begin replacing individual cassettes in a set at about 75 circs and need to replace most of the set by 130 circs. In our multi-branch library system we may weed a copy at our highest-circulating library after a couple of years due to high circ while a copy at another branch may only have 20 circs after that same period. In a multi-branch system the downside of using one number for all libraries is that high-circulating libraries have a fresher collection than a low-circulating library.To avoid a stagnant collection, a branch that circs an audio title 4 times a year should really have a completely different number used for weeding than a branch that circulates a title 15 times a year. If your branches are clamoring for a circ number to use as a weeding guideline, consider developing a circ number specific to each branch, based on the circulation of audio in that particular community. You can apply this principle to all A/V formats in a branch. Circ numbers as a weeding guideline can be very helpful, as long as the library continues to weed less-popular titles despite their circ numbers, continues to offer new titles to prevent a stagnating collection and makes sure that a popular title or author continues to be available through another means. Audio usage in a specific community is the best determinant of the circ number used to weed a title.

Lucy Lockley wrote:

I know this is videolib but I thought some of you folks might be able to
assist me in finding the answer or at least a source for the following query.

Is there a 'standard' for the maximum number of uses/checkouts for an
audiocassette?  Or in other words, how many Circs does an audiocassette
have to reach before you should weed it?  When has it gone beyond the
tape's actual useful life?  Etc.?  (Remember, I am talking Audiocassettes
not videos.)

We are trying to set some weeding guideline for our Audiocassette
collection and keep running up against this question.  Has any one ever
seen such a number 'printed' anywhere or, perhaps, used in any weeding
policies?

If you know of a source where this question might be put forward more
appropriately please let me know by responding directly to the e-mail
address listed below.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Lucy M. Lockley, Collection Development Manager     Phone: 636/441.2300,
Ext. 1563
St. Charles City-County Library District            FAX: 636/441.3132
425 Spencer Road
P.O. Box 529                                        e-mail: llockley@mail.win.org
St. Peters, MO  63376-0529

        "Demons after money!?!  Whatever happened to the still beating heart
                of a virgin?!  No one has any standards anymore!"
            ___         Giles ('Buffy, the Vampire Slayer')
           |   \
           |    \
      \\__/    /                        Touche!
       \___ __/