RE: Audio question

Carson Block (cblock@frii.com)
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

Lucy...

I don't know of any published stats, but as I'm sure you know cassettes are
notoriously fragile--sometimes one circ through the wrong player is enough
to have to retire/replace the title! :-)

When I worked for the Loveland Public Library (Colorado) we repaired our own
audio and videos with commercial-grade splicing tape. We would weed/replace
anything that was mangled, especially if it was an older title with a few
years on it. Due to the size of our collection (and the high interest in
audio titles)that was always a tough call -- our stats showed us that most
things had a healthy circ.

Good luck!

Carson Block
Technology Consultant
High Plains Regional Library Service System
800 8th Avenue, Suite 209
Greeley, CO 80631
voice: (800)332-7335
fax: (970) 353-4355