RE: Audio question

Judy Jones (judyjones@csus.edu)
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:02:42 -0700 (PDT)

Do you have an automated circulation system? We weed everything based on
usage/damage.
You could circulation use for the past 5 years and weed based on that. We
have to weed because of space.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lucy Lockley [mailto:llockley@mail.win.org]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 2:53 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Audio question

I know this is videolib but I thought some of you folks might be able to
assist me in finding the answer or at least a source for the following
query.

Is there a 'standard' for the maximum number of uses/checkouts for an
audiocassette? Or in other words, how many Circs does an audiocassette
have to reach before you should weed it? When has it gone beyond the
tape's actual useful life? Etc.? (Remember, I am talking Audiocassettes
not videos.)

We are trying to set some weeding guideline for our Audiocassette
collection and keep running up against this question. Has any one ever
seen such a number 'printed' anywhere or, perhaps, used in any weeding
policies?

If you know of a source where this question might be put forward more
appropriately please let me know by responding directly to the e-mail
address listed below.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lucy M. Lockley, Collection Development Manager Phone: 636/441.2300,
Ext. 1563
St. Charles City-County Library District FAX: 636/441.3132
425 Spencer Road
P.O. Box 529 e-mail:
llockley@mail.win.org
St. Peters, MO 63376-0529

"Demons after money!?! Whatever happened to the still beating heart
of a virgin?! No one has any standards anymore!"
___ Giles ('Buffy, the Vampire Slayer')
| \
| \
\\ | /