Re: Video available? "Greeks: Crucible of Civilization"

Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

I'm loosening my grip for a variety of reasons. First, I've lent videos
to faculty from other Indiana academic institutions and the CIC (our
consortium, which includes the Big 10 plus the University of Chicago) for
more than ten years, without negative consequence. Second, ALA adopted
guidelines for the interlibrary loan of audiovisual materials in January
1998. For the guidelines, see the Video Round Table web site:
<http://www.lib.virginia.edu/dmmc/VRT/illguide.html>. These guidelines
provide a reasonable framework for borrowing and lending. Third, the
recently adopted ACRL "Guidelines for Media Resources in Academic
Libraries" encourage lending
(<http://www.ala.org/acrl/guides/medresg.html>, see recommendation 5.1).

I believe in lending. I did a survey on the interlibrary loan of video in
1994 and published the results in the VRT newsletter in Winter 1995. It's
on the web at this URL:
<http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/kris/internetsurvey.html>. This article
gives the results of the survey and offers suggestions for getting
started. The crux of the matter is this: We can't possibly provide all
of the videorecordings that our users need. They need to be able to
borrow from other libraries. If we want other libraries to lend to our
users, we should be willing to lend to theirs. Informally, I had been
lending to faculty from other institutions, again without negative
consequences, so I just decided in the past six months to make it
official. I hope that others will follow suit. -- Kris

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Gerald Notaro (LIB) wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Kristine R. Brancolini wrote:
>
> > Marilyn: We own this title. You can borrow it from us on interlibrary
> > loan. Have the faculty member request it from ILL, designating Indiana
> > University as the lender. We only lend to faculty, so it should clearly
> > designate the user as faculty. If you need additional information, feel
>
> Kristine,
>
> You and I discussed ILL of videos some years back when USF was examining
> its own policy. We have done IntraLibrary Loan of videos for faculty
> within the USF campuses since then with success. I am curious how others
> are handling ILL of videos. Are we loosening our grip? To what
> consequence?
>
> Jerry

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu