More on DVD GMD

Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:43:52 -0700 (PDT)

I received this response from Nancy Olson. Once again, ALA makes
decisions about issues that affect media librarians and our users without
talking to anyone in the Video Round Table or the ACRL Media Resources
Committee. I'm curious if they talked to ALCTS Audiovisual Committee...
I have no idea what CC:DA means. I emailed Nancy back to find out. --
Kris

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:54:27 -0500
From: nancyolson <avnancy@ic.mankato.mn.us>
To: "Kristine R. Brancolini" <brancoli@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: Questions for Nancy

I've heard that the (international) Joint Steering Committee for the
Revision of AACR plans to include DVDs in the "electronic resource"
category -- they have already made the decision about the GMD. It may or
may not be used for films; in any case this won't happen this year.

But the decision-making process is far past any individual input -- I also
think "electronic resource" is too broad, but it was accepted for the ISBD
several years ago, and that influenced JSC also to accept it.

Public service librarians have a representative to CC:DA, the ALA committee
that handles proposals for cataloging rule revision -- I don't have an ALA
directory here at home -- you might look up your representative and express
your concerns.

Nancy B. Olson
AV cataloger, retired