Re: Archival copies of 16mm

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

Frankly Deb this has never been tested in court and I Guarentee that if you
tried to copy
FANTASIA because Disney had pulled it and would not sell a copy at "fair"
price they would sue
the pants off you. Films are NOT phonorecordings and I can think of no
conditions that a rights holder would allow someone to copy material just
because they wont make it available at a "fair" price. As usual I doubt
anyone would ever get caught copying material but that does not make it
legal.Also you are talking about copying to totally DIFFERENT format which
contrary to popular belief is NOT an obsolete format just one that maybe
inconvenient. Incidently without a copyright search you could never know who
owned the item and thus what the "price" of copy would be.

Regards

Jessica