RE: Video Showings

LeeAnne Krause (LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu)
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:57:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have had the same problem. Just this week, I had someone argue with me for an hour about a public showing on campus, because, "after all, it is educational"...

LeeAnne Krause
U of S. Carolina Film Library

>>> judyjones@csus.edu 07/27/00 01:16PM >>>
This remains one of thornyiest problems about copyright on a college campus.
No matter how much I try to tell faculty that showing films and videos
anywhere on campus, except face-to-face in a teaching venue, they refuse to
believe that copyright law is being violated. As far as they are concerned,
any title is ok anywhere on campus, and they can convince themselves the
showing is for the educational "good," they will violate the copyright law.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tami-Jo M. Eckley [mailto:eckleyt@mville.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:05 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Video Showings

I feel a little silly asking this basic question but what the heck. In the
past, I have not paid much attention to copyright issues that I have not had
to deal with. So far here at Manhattanville Library, we have done nothing
outside of circulating videos or providing them to a professor for a
classroom showing. However, we recently hired a new director of Student
Activities who is asking about student film showings. Please advise if I am
not correct, but I believe the number of students involved is irrelevant in
regards to needing public performance rights. I believe that it is whether
or not it is a public or open showing to any college member who would like
to attend. Thanks.

--
Tami-Jo Eckley
Electronic Services & Media Librarian