Re: Video Showings

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:20:39 -0700 (PDT)

Correct. The audience number and nature of showing are irrelevant. Other
than use in face-to-face classroom teaching in a regular place of
instruction, you need performance rights...

gary handman

At 10:04 AM 07/27/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I feel a little silly asking this basic question but what the heck. In
the past, I have not paid much attention to copyright issues that I have
not had to deal with. So far here at Manhattanville Library, we have done
nothing outside of circulating videos or providing them to a professor for
a classroom showing. However, we recently hired a new director of Student
Activities who is asking about student film showings. Please advise if I
am not correct, but I believe the number of students involved is irrelevant
in regards to needing public performance rights. I believe that it is
whether or not it is a public or open showing to any college member who
would like to attend. Thanks.

>--
>Tami-Jo Eckley
>Electronic Services & Media Librarian