Re: Laserdisc Storage Ideas?

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:19:29 -0700 (PDT)

We store ours in 12" deep slotted shelving - just like our phonograph
records. We purchase these shelves from our standard library book shelf
distributor. It is sometimes advertised as "picture book" shelving. I
would recommend getting the tallest dividers for the slots you can -
preferrably 12" in height. (We, unfortunately, have the regular 6" high
slot dividers. Over time the pressure on the center of the record or
laserdisc may snap the disc in two.) Storing them "in posture",
vertically, gives us maximum storage space. But, it is more difficult to
browse or shelf read this way, since laserdiscs are so slim! I have weight
estimates at home if you need them. We store all our laserdiscs in vinyl
sleeves. We can store approximately 75 per shelf.

At 01:00 PM 7/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>We here at Wake Forest are struggling to find storage for our laserdisc
>collection. Yes, I know, laserdiscs are no longer in fashion, but we
>have a wonderful collection, much of it purchased for nearly nothing
>from a collector. We have about 1200 at this point and even though we
>are not going to add to the collection, we still need to store it.
>
>Has anyone out there found a good way to store laserdiscs? I would love
>pictures, vendor contacts, anything that might help us. We have
>$3000-$4000 to spend and I have already inquired about having something
>built and have been sent back to find something ready-made.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Roz
>
>--
>_______________________________