Re: protocol

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:18:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi:

Always cite the original author/title/date (and url if you're linking to an
online version. (forget the fact that the cite was posted on a list or
other electronic sources). The only time you'd cite a listserv is if your
quoting something from an original posting.

Does this make sense

At 04:08 PM 07/18/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Gary,
>I'd like to include a couple of these announcements in my
>next e-zine. Please advise me as to protocol for crediting
>the source, ie. when the source is other than yours, such as
>[SOURCE: USAToday (3D), AUTHOR: Mike Snider]
>(http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20000717/2461686s.htm)
>but the info is from your list serve does both USA Today and
>Gary Handman, UC Berkeley need to be acknowledged? I don't
>want to make anyone angry and believe that some of this info
>is of interest to our e-zine readers.
>Tks for your help,
>Ranny Levy
>

>Gary Handman wrote:
>>

>> YOUR TV'S LITTLE BLACK BOX IS GROWING UP
>> Issue: Television
>> Today, about half of U.S. homes have at least one set-top box, according to
>> Forrester research. Those black boxes are undergoing huge changes. In 1996,
>> the Congress pass a law requiring the industry to create a standard that
>> lets consumers buy their boxes at retail, which means that the devises will
>> be interoperable, allowing subscribers to use them with all cable systems.
>> The advent of broadband Internet services has lured some of the biggest
>> media players, including Microsoft, AOL and Sony, to get involved in mix.
>> Several companies are developing set-top boxes that function as personal
>> video recorders (PVRs). About 11% of U.S. households expect to purchase a
>> PVR within the next year, according to a recent random survey of 1,000
homes
>> conducted by the Consumer Electronics Association. Some experts envision
>> that consumers will eventually be buying a box that handles all forms of
TV,
>> plus phone and Net services -- with an upgradeable hard drive.
>> [SOURCE: USAToday (3D), AUTHOR: Mike Snider]
>> (http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20000717/2461686s.htm)
>> >
>> >GOVT., COS. TO BRING INTERNET HOME
>> >Issue: Digital Divide
>> >Lawmakers and technology companies have plans to use one of the most
>> >ubiquitous household devices -- the television -- to bring the Web to
>> >hundreds of fourth-grade schoolchildren. The WISH TV program will provide
>> >them with free digital set-top boxes for one-year that enable them to
>> >receive Web services on standard televisions, plus the two-way cable
>> >connection needed to access the Internet. Educators from several
>> >universities are developing Web-based curriculum for participating schools
>> >to use with children at home. WorldGate Communications, a provider of
>> >interactive services using the TV, is spearheading the effort with support
>> >from Rep. Billy Tauzin, (R-LA). "The idea of putting a PC in the local
>> >library was better than nothing but it was far short of bringing the
>> >Internet into every household in America," said Hal Krisbergh, chairman
and
>> >chief executive officer of WorldGate. Once the year is up, however,
families
>> >probably will have to pay to continue their Internet service from
WorldGate
>> >and for a cable subscription.
>> >[SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News, AUTHOR: Kalpana Srinivasan (Associated
>> >Press)]
>> >(http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/breaking/ap/docs/206426l.htm)
>> >

>> >HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISION
>> >Issue: DTV
>> >The Subcommittee on Telecommunications, Trade, and Consumer Protection has
>> >scheduled a hearing on Tuesday, July 25, 2000 at 10:00 a.m. in 2123
Rayburn
> [...]
>> >invitation only.
>> >[SOURCE: House of Representatives]
>> >(http://com-notes.house.gov/schedule.htm)
>> >
>> >BRITONS REVAMP AMERICAN TV
>> >Issue: Television
>> >It's another British invasion. First "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" then
>> >"Survivor." Both are 100% British-made television ideas. Millionaire may
>> >possibly be England's most successful cultural export in the last 30
years.
>> >"It's a bit like the old days of the British empire," said Paul Smith,
>> >managing director of the British production company Celador, which came up
>> >with the game show. "We've got a map of the world in the office colored in
>> >pink where we've placed the show. Most of the world is pink."
>> >[SOURCE: New York Times (B1), AUTHOR: Bill Carter]
>> >(http://www.nytimes.com/library/arts/071800british-tv-invasion.html)
>>
>> DVD CASE WILL TEST REACH OF DIGITAL COPYRIGHT LAW
>> Issue: Intekkectual Property
>> The trial of Universal City Studios Inc. v. Eric Corley et. al is slated to
>> begin in Manhattan on Monday and the case is seen as an important test of
>> the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA). Mr Corley made
>> available on his Web site a software program, DeCSS, which allows users of
>> Linux, a free operating system patched together by volunteers and
>> distributed over the Internet, to view DVD movies on their machines. But
>> Hollywood executives say the software also allows users to bypass the
>> security system of DVD movie disks, thus paving the way to unauthorized
>> viewing, copying and online transmission of movies. "This case is a
>> well-focused presentation of the question of whether or not the DMCA
created
>> a new right to control access to a work if the work is encoded and
encrypted
>> in digital media," Benkler said. "No one has made the argument so
>> audaciously as the movie studios have done here, that the DMCA has created
>> that new right. Up until now, there has been no general right to control
the
>> reading of a book or to control access to a work. If the argument flies,"
>> Benkler said, "there will be a completely new theory of copyright." Under
>> the plaintiffs' view of the law, he said, a young student could not use
>> DeCSS to decrypt a DVD in order to copy ten seconds of the movie for use in
>> a multimedia report at school. Yet such a "fair use" right to quote from
the
>> movie exists in non-digital media, he said. [SOURCE: CyberTimes, AUTHOR:
>> Carl S. Kaplan (kaplanc@nytimes.com)]
>> (http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/07/cyber/cyberlaw/14law.html)
>>
>> KING ESTATE AND CBS SETTLE SUIT OVER RIGHTS TO FAMOUS SPEECH
>> Issue: Intellectual Property
>> Some years ago, CBS began selling a video collection, "The 20th Century
with
>> Mike Wallace," that included footage from Dr. Martin Luther King's "I
Have a
>> Dream" speech. Dr. King's family which has long been criticized by scholars
>> for its aggressive profit-making approach to Dr. King's legacy, argued that
>> outside corporations should not be allowed to exploit Dr. King's memory
>> without giving a share to the estate. "It has to do with the principle that
>> if you make a dollar, I should make a dime," said Dexter Scott King, Dr.
>> King's son and president of the estate, in 1997. After years of dispute,
the
>> two sides have settled on an agreement which includes CBS making a
>> tax-deductible contribution to the King Center for Nonviolent Social
Change,
>> in Atlanta. (Amount undisclosed) Both sides feel victorious. "From CBS's
>> perspective, this has always been about the principle that they have right
>> to use footage they take of news events," said the network's lawyer, Floyd
>> Abrams. "From their vantage point, that principle remains inviolate, and is
>> consistent with this resolution."
>> [SOURCE: New York Times (A12), AUTHOR: David Firestone]
>> (http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/071400atl-king.html)
>>
>> Gary Handman
>> Director
>> Media Resources Center
>> Moffitt Library
>> UC Berkeley 94720-6000
>> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>> "Everything wants to become television" (James Ulmer -- Teletheory)
>
>--
>Coalition for Quality Children's Media - KIDS FIRST!
>112 W. San Francisco St. Suite 305A Santa Fe, New Mexico
>87501
>Ph: 505.989.8076 Fax: 505.986.8477 website -
>http://www.cqcm.org
>Ranny Levy - President
>Suzanne Farley - KIDS FIRST! Director
>Therese Schoeppner - Jury Coordinator
>Lorilei Songy - PR Coordinator
>Samsunshine Levy - Web Master
>

>"What a fabulous resource for concerned parents!" S. Jordan,
>MI
>
>"As a Children's librarian, this site will be useful to
>suggest
>to parents, educators, and kids themselves!" M. Voors, IN

UC Berkeley 94720-6000