Re: protocol

Gary Handman (
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:18:14 -0700 (PDT)

Always cite the original author/title/date (and url if you're linking to an
online version. (forget the fact that the cite was posted on a list or
other electronic sources). The only time you'd cite a listserv is if your
quoting something from an original posting.

Does this make sense

At 04:08 PM 07/18/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
>> >[SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News, AUTHOR: Kalpana Srinivasan (Associated
>> >Press)]
>> >(
>> >
>> >Issue: DTV
>> >The Subcommittee on Telecommunications, Trade, and Consumer Protection has
>> >scheduled a hearing on Tuesday, July 25, 2000 at 10:00 a.m. in 2123
>> >House Office Building. The hearing will be an oversight hearing on High
>> >Definition Television (HDTV) and related matters. Witnesses will be by
>> >invitation only.
>> >[SOURCE: House of Representatives]
>> >(
>> >
>> >Issue: Television
>> >It's another British invasion. First "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" then
>> >"Survivor." Both are 100% British-made television ideas. Millionaire may
>> >possibly be England's most successful cultural export in the last 30
>> >"It's a bit like the old days of the British empire," said Paul Smith,
>> >managing director of the British production company Celador, which came up
>> >with the game show. "We've got a map of the world in the office colored in
>> >pink where we've placed the show. Most of the world is pink."
>> >[SOURCE: New York Times (B1), AUTHOR: Bill Carter]
>> >(
>> Issue: Intekkectual Property
>> The trial of Universal City Studios Inc. v. Eric Corley et. al is slated to
>> begin in Manhattan on Monday and the case is seen as an important test of
>> the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA). Mr Corley made
>> available on his Web site a software program, DeCSS, which allows users of
>> Linux, a free operating system patched together by volunteers and
>> distributed over the Internet, to view DVD movies on their machines. But
>> Hollywood executives say the software also allows users to bypass the
>> security system of DVD movie disks, thus paving the way to unauthorized
>> viewing, copying and online transmission of movies. "This case is a
>> well-focused presentation of the question of whether or not the DMCA
>> a new right to control access to a work if the work is encoded and
>> in digital media," Benkler said. "No one has made the argument so
>> audaciously as the movie studios have done here, that the DMCA has created
>> that new right. Up until now, there has been no general right to control
>> reading of a book or to control access to a work. If the argument flies,"
>> Benkler said, "there will be a completely new theory of copyright." Under
>> the plaintiffs' view of the law, he said, a young student could not use
>> DeCSS to decrypt a DVD in order to copy ten seconds of the movie for use in
>> a multimedia report at school. Yet such a "fair use" right to quote from
>> movie exists in non-digital media, he said. [SOURCE: CyberTimes, AUTHOR:
>> Carl S. Kaplan (]
>> (
>> Issue: Intellectual Property
>> Some years ago, CBS began selling a video collection, "The 20th Century
>> Mike Wallace," that included footage from Dr. Martin Luther King's "I
Have a
>> Dream" speech. Dr. King's family which has long been criticized by scholars
>> for its aggressive profit-making approach to Dr. King's legacy, argued that
>> outside corporations should not be allowed to exploit Dr. King's memory
>> without giving a share to the estate. "It has to do with the principle that
>> if you make a dollar, I should make a dime," said Dexter Scott King, Dr.
>> King's son and president of the estate, in 1997. After years of dispute,
>> two sides have settled on an agreement which includes CBS making a
>> tax-deductible contribution to the King Center for Nonviolent Social
>> in Atlanta. (Amount undisclosed) Both sides feel victorious. "From CBS's
>> perspective, this has always been about the principle that they have right
>> to use footage they take of news events," said the network's lawyer, Floyd
>> Abrams. "From their vantage point, that principle remains inviolate, and is
>> consistent with this resolution."
>> [SOURCE: New York Times (A12), AUTHOR: David Firestone]
>> (
>> Gary Handman
>> Director
>> Media Resources Center
>> Moffitt Library
>> UC Berkeley 94720-6000
>> "Everything wants to become television" (James Ulmer -- Teletheory)
>Coalition for Quality Children's Media - KIDS FIRST!
>112 W. San Francisco St. Suite 305A Santa Fe, New Mexico
>Ph: 505.989.8076 Fax: 505.986.8477 website -
>To subscribe to KIDS FIRST! NEWS:
>Ranny Levy - President
>Suzanne Farley - KIDS FIRST! Director
>Therese Schoeppner - Jury Coordinator
>Lorilei Songy - PR Coordinator
>Samsunshine Levy - Web Master
>"What a fabulous resource for concerned parents!" S. Jordan,
>"As a Children's librarian, this site will be useful to
>to parents, educators, and kids themselves!" M. Voors, IN
UC Berkeley 94720-6000