Re: Performance rights?

Jim Scholtz (
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:02:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Leslie,

If you already have the video titles available - either own, or have
rented, leased,acquired them in some legal fashion, you can contact MPLC to
obtain a blanket umbrella license for showing (mostly all feature films).
This is a site specific license (for example a room within your library).
Usually, MPLC grants rights for a group of movies (thus the word umbrella)
for a 1 year period - not based on a single showing, etc. If you wish to
rent a PP movie to show as a single showing, you can do one of the
following - contact the producer/dist., tell them you are a library and
want to show, or contact - lease a PP rights video from SWANK. Here's the
info on MPLC (

5455 Centinela Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90066-6970
TEL: (800) 462-8855, (310) 822-8855
FAX: (310) 822-4440


The Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) is an independent copyright
licensing service exclusively authorized by major Hollywood motion picture
studios and independent producers to grant Umbrella LicensesSM to
non-profit groups, businesses and government organizations for the public
performances of home videocassettes and videodiscs.

Over 50,000 locations, including churches, libraries, schools, YM/YWCAs,
and corporations have obtained MPLC’s Umbrella License with the assurance
that the videos they show are in compliance with the Federal Copyright Act.

Good luck. Jim Scholtz.

At 03:28 PM 7/14/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi - I know this has been asked and answered before but I was having
trouble using the archives. Where does one go to get performance rights to
show a feature film in a public library, say "Out of Africa"? What is the
average cost? I know there are a few *big* places which handle this but I
didn't keep notes from the last communications about it. Thanks for
indulging me and have a good weekend -
>Leslie Andersen
>Non-Print Materials Evaluator
>County of Los Angeles Public Library