Re: Value-Added Cataloging by linking to distributors' catalogs

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:09:35 -0700 (PDT)

We do it selectively in our web site, but not in our formal cataloging
records. We do, however, link feature films to the Internet Movie DB from
our web-based cat. We've also begun selectively adding links to MRD
reviews in our web cat (these latter links are, of course, limited to
berkeley.edu users...).

However...

They say "ars longa, vita brevis" ...I feel sort of the same about the
possible pitfalls of linking online cats (the "longa) to resources over
which we have no long (or short) term control (the "brevis). If we all get
into this scene in a big way, we damn well better pray for effective global
maintenance capabilities!

gary handman

At 11:17 AM 07/13/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>In a discussion about cataloging of videos yesterday, we considered using
>the MARC 856 field to link directly to a distributor's web catalog for the
>title.
>
>Pierian Press has an arrangement to link to Media Review Digest from online
>catalogs. But we thought that a distributor's information might provide far
>more detailed information on a title than a catalog summary could. Is there
>anyone who is already doing this with an online catalog?
>
>Successful? Work involved?
>
>I'm interested in hearing from distributors with their reactions to this
>concept.
>
>Thanx.
>

>deg farrelly, Media Librarian
>Arizona State University West
>4701 West Thunderbird Road, P.O. Box 37100
>Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
>Phone: 602.543.8522 | Fax: 602.543.8540 | E-Mail: deg@asu.edu

UC Berkeley 94720-6000