RE: VTR Gala - Thoughts

Trent Nicholas (Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us)
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 06:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

Right on, Brigid. Good soapbox. How sadly true about Bicycle Thief and how
so many students now find it just a downer instead of powerfully poignant.
Hmm, I wonder if there was a Bicycle Thief home video game? Naahhh.

T. Nicholas
Statewide Media Resource Coordinator
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

-----Original Message-----
From: Brigid Duffy [SMTP:bduffy@sfsu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 9:07 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: VTR Gala - Thoughts

Can't agree more that the Gala was a great event. One thought has
been
sticking in the back of my brain; Studs Terkel's comment on the
younger
generation's disinterest in "Bicycle Thief". He's right, it is a
great
movie, and it's true, post-Generation X doesn't get it. But then...

"Bicycle Thief" is a story about people on the edge of starvation
and
about deeply felt familial love. Young people today, on the whole,
have
no experience of either theme. Widespread hunger is something
outside
their own lives - it's something you see on tv in some foreign
country. And the social expectation of stable family relations is
gone.
Even if kids today have that kind of love in their lives, the way
families break up now, the idea that a father and son would rather
starve
together than live apart is totally alien to what they know of life.
Add
to that the movie is set in post-World War II Italy (in a foreign
country
and in their grandparents' era) this beautiful film classic means
virtually nothing in them.

Okay, I'm climbing down off my soapbox now.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200