Video Compact Disc & Info on Burl. Co iDVS System

Mark Richie (Media2@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

Tripp Read and Pierre Gregoire Both made inquires to me about our
digital video system. For the benifit of all the reply is here in a
"just the facts" format.

First - appologies to the group for responding to Scholtz via the list
serve - I will attribute that to recovering from a head injury and/or,
having a Sr. Moment.

Contact me directly at media2@bellatlantic.net with specific
questions/comments if you like.

Periodic updates on how the system installation and testing is going can
be found at emtc.burlco.org > look under LEADER or USER.

1. Video server is WIN NT from any vendor you prefer. Needs 1GB of RAM,
three NIC cards, and CD-ROM drive (no DVD/CD drives please). Figure 1GB
Memory for each running hour of video. Advantage is that you can adapt
an existing server, buy new on state contract, etc. Our first is a GW
ALR 7200 w/ 40GB. GW is great but Dell and others make more dollar cost
effective servers / storage devices.

2. Distribution and scheduling software is called DCMStm. For education
and public libraries the distribution is handled by E-MOD.COM. They can
be reached at> IDVS7@AOL.COM.

3. DCMS resides on the server, handles the title catalog, search engine
and download management answering requests from schools in local service
region. (We have 155 schools w/70K students.)

4. To make use of system at school (client) site they must have a cable
modem or T-1 size connection. System in our application has streaming
system disabled. Does store and forward only. Downloading is done
overnight or overnight at some future date (scheduling). A "download
now" feature can be enabled for schools with T-1 ATM lines.

4A. Major feature: Video plays at FULL 30 FPS and edge to edge FULL
SCREEN with lip sync when using the e-partner interactive viewer(tm).

5. Downloads go to either school server OR desktop at option of local
tech. director. NO ADDED SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE IS NEEDED AT SCHOOL SITE.
Advantage: you are not tied to a hardware solution for a transmission
problem. Must be tcp/ip to desktop (sorry, no IPX).

6. Once video file is in school (or branch) it can be viewed as a linear
video using any of the several media viewers that come with MAC/WIN pcs.

7. Killer app. is the e-partner(tm) interactive viewer that allows user
to add titling, drawings (telestrator freehand), virtual sticky notes
and even sound bites over the video. All these are kept in a time code
linked file and do not alter the downloaded video (copyright fans take
note.)

8. E-partner comes as a "service area license" without regard to ADA,
number of buildings, computers etc. Loading takes about 5 min per
computer.

9. DCMS contains a multiple password gateway to get in and will only
download to an authorized IP address.

10. Copyright is delt with in much the same way as video duplication or
cablecast rights. Digital IP transmission rights run about $200 to $400
per title. If a producer balks at selling licensing for such rights, or
insists on renewing the rights for the same fee every 3 or five years
(ie: paying twice for same product) - we move on.
Rights must include no limits on downloads or sensitivity to
enrollment, numbers of schools or numbers of computers. We have 70
titles on hand and about 150 on order.

11. Titles arrive on CD-ROM and are loaded into our server. The ROM
becomes the MASTER. Titles are converted to an MPEG 1 format using a
specific sampling rate and other variables that are beyond my knowledge.
Except that a few CD-ROM from other replication houses will not run
smoothly, lack clarity or will not hold the overlay titling and
drawings. So PO specifies that product must be compatable with iDVS
system.

Appologies for the lenght. It's a lot of facts because it is not
something you can pick up at CompUSA.

Cheers: Mark 8-)