Re: video selection policy

Gregory Callahan (gregory_callahan@hotmail.com)
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:10:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hmmm. "Patron demand" still looks pretty singular to me. Sure it has a
collective sense about it, but the verb is 3rd pers. singular "is"; not
"are." My take on it is that after you lump all those individual "demands"
together, you arrive at a collective (but still quite singular) DEMAND (the
"voice of the people"--also a singular concept).

Anyway, Rick was only suggesting that it MIGHT be a better, usage-wise.

But enough of this grammatical hairsplitting. As a public librarian
struggling to develop a collection development policy for AV materials, I
found this discussion to be very helpful and am grateful to all who
contributed.

Gregory Callahan
Hyde Park Free Library
Hyde Park, New York