Re: Average Cost of a Video (fwd)

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT)

When the average brand new consumer VHS hovers around $25, you should
consider something even lower. A couple of years ago I got the author of a
book on movie musicals to donate over 800 videos he had used as research
for his book. On the whole, the videos had been looked at once or twice.
Because of the considerable number of videos we were accepting, and the
fact that we are talking about used merchandise albeit barely, the tax
deduction was set at $10/video. Yes, I know, some of the videos were out of
print and would have had a higher value, but then some of them could have
been bought at a video store sale for $5 or $3, so it all balanced out. Had
this individual decided to sell the videos on Ebay, he probably would have
gotten more money but that would have been income and not a tax deduction...

Oksana

At 07:43 PM 7/3/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Our Fiscal Officer, for auditing purposes, is looking for an average cost
>of a video. The videos being evaluated are gift videos, not likely
>to be scholarly in nature. Bowker Annual gives an average 1998 figure of
>$70+. What do you think the average cost of a gift video might
>be? Closer to $25? Please send responses to John Awakuni
>(johnaw@hawaii.edu). Mahalo! Thelma Diercks

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8