Re: response to video selection policy

Chip Taylor (chipt@chiptaylor.com)
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 04:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ellen,
Just recently I responded to a "Help" plea to the group.
I suggested that I would fax a response to support the argument - and
invited others to do the same.
I believe this too would help support your situation.
It is obvious (to most) that Award Winning programs alone do not make up an
excellent collection. I understand Public Libraries who want to have number
of items utilized want/need popular feature films in their collection;
however, unless the other, and I feel more significant, mission of Public
Libraries has been changed, or just totally ignored, and that is the goal to
have media available to the public which is not always available from other
sources - be it books, magazines, videos, etc., then I believe this group
has a tremendous number of quality people who can respond to the argument
that often the relatively unknown program can be just as important than an
Oscar (or any other winning) title. I - just as my peers - know a (large)
number of important programs that may never win an award, but may be just
perfect for that nurse, preacher, teacher, parent, firefighter,
policeperson, counselor, student, etc. you serve.
Long live the true spirit of the Public Library - if that is passed on just
to allow the successful, money-making books/features to be utlilized, then
their true value as public institutions will be diminished for all time.
If you send your fax, I will gladly fax a letter on my letterhead - or you
may print this email out.
Sincerely,
Chip Taylor, President
Chip Taylor Communications