Re: your assistance, please

Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:30:39 -0700 (PDT)

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BFE1C3.5A3BBD00

I've got "The New York Times Guide to the Best Children's Videos" and =
while I appreciate what Kids First! is doing, I sometimes question their =
choices chosen by a motley crew of jurors. One example is their =
selection of "In Search of the Willie T", a reasonably good intro to =
various floating vessels for kids which inexplicably includes a =
'humorous' scene of a transplanted-to-modern-times pirate blowing up a =
downtown office building (a queasy reminder of the Oklahoma tragedy). As =
for movies, their coverage is very spotty. The primary list of feature =
films is family films for teenagers, and includes such "what?" entries =
as "The Tin Drum" (no offense, Jessica), Juzo Itami's "Tampopo", John =
Waters' "Pecker" and "Billy Madison." I would personally recommend two =
of the four, but hardly as "family films." For younger kids, missing =
classics include "Mary Poppins", "Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" =
and "Old Yeller."=20
Still, not only is this guide better than nothing, it truly does =
highlight a number of beloved children's videos that aren't readily =
available in video stores.

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian