Re: DVDs

Diane Sybeldon (ac7255@wayne.edu)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

We've been buying DVDs but not exclusively.
According to a film studies instructor here, the disadvantage of DVDs for
instructional purposes is that they can't be copied.
Film instructors like to be able to copy specific scenes
and string them together for analysis in classes.
With laser discs this is possible, and some of our instructors, while they
like DVD, like the laser disc technology more.

At 07:45 AM 6/27/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Are any Audiovisual Librarians changing their collection development policies
>to purchase only (or primarily) DVDs? Anyone have thoughts on the wisdom of
>such a policy? My Library Director is urging us to buy DVD, and only DVD,
>unless a title is not available in this format. Feedback on the pros and
>cons
>would be much appreciated. Thanks--Maureen, ecl_mat@flo.org

Diane Sybeldon
Instruction/Media Librarian