RE: DVDs

Trent Nicholas (Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:24:52 -0700 (PDT)

I must say I like Daryl Diggers clear-eyed view. Just how fragile is DVD
anyway?? How long before a new format makes DVDs obsolete? And where were
all these DVD customers when Laserdiscs ruled the high end?
My particular concern: At my museum, I loan almost exclusively
educational visual materials with an emphasis on art, and I see very little
on DVD. Only Hollywood product.
Does anyone know if and how soon will be the big push of educational
programming onto DVD?

Thanks,
Trent Nicholas
Statewide Media Resource Coordinator
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Richmond
edpartner@vmfa.state.va.us <mailto:Edpartner@vmfa.state.va.us>

-----Original Message-----
From: allens@nexus.mwsu.edu [SMTP:allens@nexus.mwsu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 11:13 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: DVDs

We are no longer purchasing videocassettes unless a faculty member
specifically request the item be in that format or if the item
needed is
not yet on dvd (which, for educational titles, is the vast
majority).

>Are any Audiovisual Librarians changing their collection
development policies
>to purchase only (or primarily) DVDs? Anyone have thoughts on the
wisdom of
>such a policy? My Library Director is urging us to buy DVD, and
only DVD,
>unless a title is not available in this format. Feedback on the
pros and
>cons
>would be much appreciated. Thanks--Maureen, ecl_mat@flo.org

Scott Allen allens@nexus.mwsu.edu
Media Librarian "Trying to stay afloat
Midwestern State University in the seas of
technology"