RE: DVDs

Tom Hyland (tom@frif.com)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:39:19 -0700 (PDT)

At 10:15 AM 6/27/00 -0700, you wrote:
>The Being John Malkovich example is a marketing scam to entice people to buy
>DVD. It started with The Matrix as I recall. In six months, the VHS price
>will nose-dive.

I don't think having a pristine letterboxed picture, extra features
including "making of" documentaries, audio commentary by the director and
capabilities to access the Internet through DVD-ROM (Matrix) is a marketing
scam...I think its has been a scam that one cannot rent or buy a video copy
of Altman's Nashville in its original letterboxed format!!! It's supposed
to be released this Summer in its proper aspect ratio on dvd. That is just
one example of many films that have only improved by being released on dvd.
I am also glad that the suggested retail for dvds is generally $20 to $40.
The image is vastly improved over older vhs.

Tom Hyland