RE: DVDs

Stephen Marek (smarek@nwu.edu)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

At 12:16 PM 06/27/2000 , you wrote:
>The Being John Malkovich example is a marketing scam to entice people to buy
>DVD. It started with The Matrix as I recall. In six months, the VHS price
>will nose-dive.

It's hardly a "scam." The price differential and savings noted by Randy
Pittman are real dollars, they are true for most first-run releases, and
they have been in effect long before the release of "The Matrix."

Yes, the price of the vhs version may (but not always) drop in 6-8 months,
just as the cost of a new bestseller usually drops with the appearance of
the paperback edition 6-18 months after the hardcover. And your point is?
Just tell library users to hold tight for half a year or so and then you'll
maybe get in the title they want? I think not.

Finally, the suggestion from someone else to just buy used videotapes from
Blockbuster, et. al. to save a few bucks strikes me as a classic example of
being penny wise and pound foolish. Why on earth would I want to purchase
used tapes with zero quality control that have been rented out god only
knows how many times to be used and abused on vcr's with heads that
resemble the surface of Mars when I can spend a few dollars more and get a
DVD disc?

Steve