RE: DVDs

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:16:56 -0700 (PDT)

The Being John Malkovich example is a marketing scam to entice people to buy
DVD. It started with The Matrix as I recall. In six months, the VHS price
will nose-dive.

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Pitman [mailto:vidlib@videolibrarian.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 1:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: DVDs

I've seen a couple people in this thread comment on DVD's higher price tag
vs. VHS. Actually, just the opposite is true--for feature films, at least.
"Being John Malkovich" cost $106.99 in VHS upon release and $24.95 in DVD.
Public libraries, in my opinion, might want to strongly consider purchasing
new titles in DVD at the lower price and pick up a couple of DVD players
(which I've seen as low as $150) for checkout to even the playing field
amongst patrons.

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian