Re: video fines

Victoria Caplan (lbcaplan@ust.hk)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:52:16 -0700 (PDT)

All our media (VHS, LD, VCD, audio CD, audio cassette, and CD-ROM)
circulate for 7 days *except* for feature films, which circulate for 3
days. People can check out up to 5 media items at a time. Special
exceptions for faculty are made using a "Special Loan Form".

There are no holds allowed, except by faculty members for teaching
purposes.

We also have a Media Reserve system, where media circulates for 2 hours
and can't leave the library. Many faculty members will place things they
need for teaching on Media Reserve, and then we allow the faculty member
or the TA to pick it up to show in class, using a "Special Loan" form.

The fines for media are:
Day 1- Day 3 = $HK 5 per day per item. That's about.. 75 cents
U.S.
From Day 4 until return, it is $HK 10 per day, per item.

Thus, of someone has 3 media items 6 days overdue the fine would be
3 items X 3 days X $5 per day = $HK 45
+
3 items X 3 days X $10 per day = $HK 90
_______________________
TOTAL = $HK 135 (~$US 18)

The reason we have the fines double after the third day is that we think
that 1-3 days late is mostly a matter of normal absentmindedness, but
after 3 days either they are really careless (ignoring 3 days of overdue
messages) or deliberately keeping things out late.

In the case of illness or real emergency, of course we waive the fines, or
cut them a bit if the patron asks.

- Victoria Caplan
Acting Media Resources & Microforms Librarian
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology