Re: video fines

Dan Donnelly (d-donn@maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:22:41 -0700 (PDT)

The video fine rate at Minnesota is $10.00 per day to a maximum of $50.00. We've never actually imposed the fine on anyone since only faculty and teaching grad students may take videos away from the library and we don't assess fines to that group. However, the overdue notice does get everyone's attention and materials find their way back to us PDQ. I like the stiff fine threat.

Dan Donnelly
University of Minnesota Libraries

At 10:46 AM 6/13/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings. As we prepare to open our new Media Center, we have been updating old policies and adding new ones. One of these is our circulation policy for videos, which includes a discussion of fines charged for overdue videos. Currently our videos circulate for 24 hours (this is a video collection whose priority is classroom use) and our fines in the past have been, we all agree, much too low to have any impact.
>
>We were wondering what sort of fines other centers collect for overdue fees. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Please answer to the list, as others might find this discussion useful. Thanks, in advance, for your help.
>
>Ridie Wilson Ghezzi
>Humanities and Social Sciences Reference Bibliographer
>Baker Library
>Dartmouth College
>Hanover, NH 03755
>ridie.w.ghezzi@dartmouth.edu