Re: video fines

Joan Goodwin (mediasup@library.sdsu.edu)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT)

We circulate most media material(vid., dvd, cd, cassettes etc) for two weeks.
Our fine structure is the same as that for print material, $.25 per day
starting
at $1.00. Our media reserve material circulates for 4 hours, use in-house only
and the fines are $1.00 per hour. All fines top out at $25.00. We charge a
uniform $52.46 for all lost material. But I encourage patrons to replace any
lost or damaged material, then they only pay a processing fee of $8.00.

At 10:46 AM 6/13/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings. As we prepare to open our new Media Center, we have been
updating old policies and adding new ones. One of these is our circulation
policy for videos, which includes a discussion of fines charged for overdue
videos. Currently our videos circulate for 24 hours (this is a video
collection whose priority is classroom use) and our fines in the past have
been, we all agree, much too low to have any impact.

>We were wondering what sort of fines other centers collect for overdue
fees. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Please answer to
the list, as others might find this discussion useful. Thanks, in advance,
for your help.