Re: video fines

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

We only check media out to faculty and have no overdue fees. Instead, we:

1) call faculty when they have media overdue. And keep calling, if
necessary.

2) If another teacher needs the tape, we give them the name of the person
who has it overdue. Sorry to say, but it's true; getting a call from Media
Center (or Library) staff is one thing, getting a call from a colleague is
another. This has been policy for 20+ years, and it's no secret.

3) We also warn any faculty member who has a reservation on an overdue
item as soon as we can, to give them a chance to switch to something else
if possible. And give them the name of the colleague who's messing up
their class.

4) Bottom line is, if it doesn't come back, they pay for it. One or two
people have been really jolted by educational video prices and they
become very faithful about on-time returns. University policy is that
employees can't collect their last paycheck until all fines are cleared,
so there is that last resort - though I can't remember ever having to go
that far.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University