RE: video fines

Judy Jones (judyjones@csus.edu)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:53:24 -0700 (PDT)

We do not circulate educational videos to students. With their faculty
permission, students may checkout an educational title for a class
presentation. They have 3 hours. We do circulate feature films, CDs,
slides, audiocassettes, CD-ROMs to students. Faculty and staff may check
out anything. Our normal circulation checkout time varies with format with
videos being, primarily, 24 hours or Friday to Monday. We have the ability
to override when faculty reserve titles for longer, in advance. We charge
$.25 per hour overdue charges for every hour the library is open, to a
maximum of $10.00 in overdue charges and a $10.00 fee you might say for the
"insult." This is per title. Our circulation program begins charging fees
after 999 units or about 17 hours overdue. We have Innopac Millennium. The
users who scream the most are faculty - they think they should be exempt,
even if they have kept something another faculty member has reserved.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ridie.W.Ghezzi@Dartmouth.EDU [mailto:Ridie.W.Ghezzi@Dartmouth.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 10:46 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: video fines

Greetings. As we prepare to open our new Media Center, we have been updating
old policies and adding new ones. One of these is our circulation policy for
videos, which includes a discussion of fines charged for overdue videos.
Currently our videos circulate for 24 hours (this is a video collection
whose priority is classroom use) and our fines in the past have been, we all
agree, much too low to have any impact.

We were wondering what sort of fines other centers collect for overdue fees.
Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Please answer to the
list, as others might find this discussion useful. Thanks, in advance, for
your help.

Ridie Wilson Ghezzi
Humanities and Social Sciences Reference Bibliographer
Baker Library
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
ridie.w.ghezzi@dartmouth.edu