Re: Transition from 16mm to ? in a public library

Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

Maurine: Your problem is that DVD is a home video format. You are not
going to be able to replace your 16mm collection -- for which you have
public performance rights -- with a DVD colleciton -- for which you will
not have public performance rights. And that's even assuming the titles
you want are available on DVD. The vast majority of DVD programing is
feature films. I don't you are going to find anyone who has completely
skipped videotape. What you might find is public libraries that have
found a source for DVDs with public performance rights. But if you want
to stop using 16mm any time soon, I suspect you will have to use both
videotape and DVD. We're still buying both and if we needed PPR, I doubt
that we would have any DVDs at all! -- Kris

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Maurine Canarsky wrote:

> Hello Videolibbers, We are beginning to plan a transition from 16mm
> films to a newer media. We would prefer not to allocate resources to
> more than one type of programming format (our films are used for
> children's programming). This has spurred many questions about how to
> replace the 16mm collection and projection equipment.
>
> Some of our questions are:
> Has anyone skipped right over video into DVD?
> If so, how is the market for children's DVD with public performance rights?
> Are the independent children's studios, like Weston Woods, doing DVD yet?
> Where can we go for information about equipment types, varieties and costs?
>
> As you can see, we are not sure where to turn at this point. Advice is
> welcomed and appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Maurine Canarsky
> Media Librarian
> Noel Wien Public Library
> 1215 Cowles St.
> Fairbanks, AK 99701
> 907-459-1020
> 907-459-1024 FAX
> maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu