Re: Transition from 16mm to ? in a public library

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:43:13 -0700 (PDT)

--MS_Mac_OE_3043229591_4675007_MIME_Part

Well I checked with our guy in the back since this is not my area. He says
that since you have to have a digabeta master to do the "crush" for DVD ,
you can't really "skip" video. You don't actually have to make any video
copies from the digabeta master but it would be available for any old
fashioned folks who wanted video. I will leave the rights & marketing issues
to someone else
----------
From: "Maurine Canarsky" <maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Transition from 16mm to ? in a public library
Date: Wed, Jun 7, 2000, 6:30 PM

Hello Videolibbers,
We are beginning to plan a transition from 16mm films to a newer media. We
would prefer not to allocate resources to more than one type of programming
format (our films are used for children's programming). This has spurred
many questions about how to replace the 16mm collection and projection
equipment.

Some of our questions are:
Has anyone skipped right over video into DVD?
If so, how is the market for children's DVD with public performance rights?
Are the independent children's studios, like Weston Woods, doing DVD yet?
Where can we go for information about equipment types, varieties and costs?

As you can see, we are not sure where to turn at this point. Advice is
welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Maurine Canarsky
Media Librarian
Noel Wien Public Library
1215 Cowles St.
Fairbanks, AK 99701
907-459-1020
907-459-1024 FAX
maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us <mailto:maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us>

--MS_Mac_OE_3043229591_4675007_MIME_Part

Re: Transition from 16mm to ? in a public library Well I checked with our guy in the back since this is not my area. He says = that since you have to have a digabeta master to do the "crush" fo= r DVD , you can't really "skip" video. You don't actually have to = make any video copies from the digabeta master but it would be available for= any old fashioned folks who wanted video. I will leave the rights & mar= keting issues to someone else
We are beginning to plan a transition from 16mm films to a newer media. &nb= sp;We would prefer not to allocate resources to more than one type of progra= mming format (our films are used for children's programming).  This has= spurred many questions about how to replace the 16mm collection and project= ion equipment.