RE: 3M security systems

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:34:47 -0700 (PDT)

ASU West uses the 3M system and we find that it works moderately well. Circ
staff are familiar enough with circulating videos that they know not to use
the heavy duty de/sensitizers on them.

Of course we still lose some materials, and the gates sometimes set off when
triggered by materials from rental stores and other libraries. No security
system is perfect.... and loss of some materials is the price paid for open
access to the collections.

We are about to replace our gates with the next generation, tho it is not
sure that we will go with the 3M gates. The new gates are necessary for all
the security tags that 3M is developing.

I just learned today that release of the new security tag for CDs/DVDs has
been pushed back for a year. sigh.

deg farrelly, Media Librarian
Arizona State University West
4701 West Thunderbird Road, P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
Phone: 602.543.8522 | Fax: 602.543.8540 | E-Mail: deg@asu.edu