Re: Alfred Hitchcock Collection I and II

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:47:35 -0700 (PDT)

I'll second that Jessica. If I'm not mistaken this notorious (no pun
intended) Mandacy outfit is from Montreal. What they (and others of their
ilk)do to save on tape is transfer the film in Extended play so the quality
is rotten from the outset. Add to that, that the elements used for the
transfer look like bad 16mm dupes and you get a result that is not only
frustrating to watch but does a great disservice to instructors and
students. It's like looking at a xerox of a newspaper reproduction of a
photograph of a painting.

Oksana

At 01:19 PM 6/2/00 -0700, you wrote:
>If you bought Jamaica Inn from Facets it was hopefully our good copy . In
>any case it is not the copyright you need to worry about but the quality. I
>took another look at " the Hitchock collection"
>It is something like Seven features for $30 bucks. I could be wrong but I
>would not expect much at that price. Kino specializes in putting out really
>great copies of many public domain titles but it costs money for good
>quality. I am always frustrated when people balk that our tapes and now
>DVD's cost $5 or $10 more than some crappy copy. I actually did not know
>there were horrid DVD's out there until I started to hear about Mandacy and
>others. Just remember if it sounds too good or too cheap to be true, it
>probably is a rotten copy
>----------
>>From: Judy Jones <judyjones@csus.edu>
>>To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>>Subject: RE: Alfred Hitchcock Collection I and II
>>Date: Fri, Jun 2, 2000, 8:02 PM
>>

>>We bought a large number of titles, including Jamaica Inn, from Facets. I
>>don't know about marketing them as I and II, but most of the early ones are
>>British. Far as I can tell no copyright as broken in purchasing these
>>titles.

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8