Re: AFI Catalog

Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:02:01 -0700 (PDT)

The AFI catalog is an absolutely essential work for any institution
interested in serious film scholarship. Along with Chadwyk-Healey's Film
Index International (a project of the British Film Institute), the AFI
offers authoritative information regarding film credits and production.
Very full synoptic information is provided (along with bibliographic data
for sources used in compiling this information. It's true that, unlike the
FII, there are no links to review or critical literature for individual films.

Both the AFI cat and the FII have their quirks.

The AFI is a work in progress. It covers films made (or released) in the
US from 1893 to 1910 and the decades 1920, 1930 1940's and 1960. Not sure
when the 1950's and post 60's data is due.
The FII, on the other hand, is fairly current, but only covers the sound
era (and does not include animation, I believe).

I'm afraid that, in a sense, the Internet Movie Database has spoiled us all
(it's FREEEEEEEE!), but, when push comes to shove, we all have to remember
that IMDB gets a lot of its info from end-users. There is absolutely no
comparison between this freebie and either the FII or AFI in terms of
authority.

At 10:54 AM 06/01/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Is anyone subscribing to the American Film Institute Catalog Online? We
have a trial here at the library and it is nice but I am not sure how
comprehensive it is and it doesn't provide any criticism bibliographies.

>--
>Tami-Jo Eckley
>Electronic Services & Media Librarian
>Manhattanville College Library