Re: Media Review Digest

Wed, 31 May 2000 10:07:50 -0700 (PDT)

We're just now finishing a trial subscription to Media Review Digest
online. Our paper copy is used primarily by library school students
working on retrospective buying projects and undergraduates looking for
feature film reviews. I would use it more if it were easier to use.
That's why I'm leaning toward subscribing to the online version. However,
the librarians who participated in the trial were unimpressed by it. The
interface is unattractive and not very user friendly. When you click on
something, it opens a little box that you have to enlarge. There's a
frame on the left that displays the names of other Pierian Press indexes,
which is basically advertising if your library doesn't subscribe. It's
distracting to see links to other databases when I'm trying to search a
particular one. I really dislike this feature and want it gone. I don't
think Pierian Press is going to print the paper version much longer so
this will be the only option when that happens. I sincerely hope they
work on a redesign of the site by then.

If you want to get a trial subscription, go to
<http://www.pierianpress.net>

Please call or email me off the list if you want more comments or
information. Thanks... -- Kris

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Diane Sybeldon wrote:

> What is the consensus about the value of
> Media Review Digest as a reviewing tool?
> And also the value of its online version which
> includes links from reviews to library
> catalog records?
> Is the online version worth investing in?
>
> ***********************************
> Diane Sybeldon
> Instruction/Media Librarian
> David Adamany Undergraduate Library
> Wayne State University
> Detroit, Michigan 48202
> (313) 577-4480 (voice)
> (313) 577-5265 (fax)
> ac7255@wayne.edu (email)

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu