Re: Digitizing video library?

Wed, 31 May 2000 08:24:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

First of all, it is highly highly highly unlikely that your infrastructure
will support effective, full-length, decent-resolution delivery of video to
the desk-top. UCB has been doing web-casting of lectures for about a year
now: it still looks pretty rough, particularly during peak use periods.
The technology for delivering digital video as it stands really cannot
support full-screen, full-length--what you settle for is still small images
of varying quality. Then there's the storage issue: "large numbers" mean
terabytes...although storage costs have come down considerably, the issue
of how to archive, catalog, and provide access to this archive is still an
issue.

Of course, if you could pull this off in one way or another, you'd need
rights for putting up anything for which your institution does not own
copyright.
I'm sure if you talked to most indie distributors of
documentary/educational titles, they'd be willing to cut deals re digital
rights. When it comes to Hollywood, forget it...Turner et al. have their
own agendas, and it's mighty unlikely that institutional digital rights are
among these game plans.

I'm really interested in where you go with this project. Keep us all
informed, pleazzzzz!

Gary Handman

At 08:04 AM 05/31/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Our university is building a new infrastructure that will give us the
>ability to stream video to the desktop and to classroom monitors. This
>new delivery system may also give the user the ability to control the
>video playback from his/her viewing location.
>
>Has anyone been investigated the legal possibility of or been able to
>acquire rights to digitize existing materials that currenty reside on
>video? The ideal solution would be to make a large number of our videos
>available on a video server to be accessed on an as needed basis.
>
>Any ideas, comments or suggestions?

>Cheryl Joyce
>Coordinator of TLS
>Tucker Center for Telecommunications