Re: interfiling videos with books

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 30 May 2000 14:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tami, I too have found this topic to be quite interesting. I worked at
a community college as a library administrator in the early 80's -- during
the mid-70's thru the mid-80's, the vision of interfiling all media formats
with their respective subjects was the buzzword in Community Colleges. In
IL, I believe that Triton and the College of DuPage were the first to try
this grand experiment with us soon following. Well, it was a tremendous
failure - from the instructor's and the student's point-of-view as well as
library staff members. 16 mm films were rolling off the shelves
everywhere, LP records were getting lost, sandwiched between large books,
microforms were continually getting lost, and Sony -u-matic videos in those
horrible generic lockable cases were just plain weird!, etc. We had a card
catalog then - no automated system and the big problem for our school was
in bookable vs. on-the fly checked out materials as well as the shelving
difficulties. Originally, while all parties surveyed said that they
retrieved materials primarily by subject and indicated searches were
content driven, they were not. In fact most searches are format driven - a
student needs 5 books, 6 magazine articles, etc. for their paper - no
mention of video. Now, the instructors even include web-site references,
but usually don't require or stress videos as viable means of information.
With the advent of the computerized catalog where a subject search brings
up information by subject, author, title, term, etc. and then can be
whittled down by format if necessary, I feel that interfiling isn't really
necessary. In my public library, we do many cross-media displays - book,
video, audiocassette, CD-ROM, etc. plus cross-media flyers, lists but we
ultimately shelf all forms by themselves - even fiction/nonfiction so
patrons have the best of both worlds. Just an observation - not the last
word. I'm always interested and open to what other people's experiences
have been... Jim Scholtz.

At 01:23 PM 5/30/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I have found this topic to be quite interesting! I also believe that it
is a decision that is very locally determined: each library's patrons will
have their own "general" routines for searching for their material. I
would like to know from the libraries that do interfile the nonfiction
videos with books, if they have had more thefts of videos. I think
interfiling is a great idea, because afterall, we classify by subject
because people generally look for materials by subject, however, in my
situation at Manhattanville, I do not see this as a possibility. We are
open for 24 hours at the end of each semester, with one security guard for
a 3 floor library. I think our videos would disappear one by one. Also,
how are these same libraries handeling DVD storage (if at all yet.)?
thanks to contributers to the discussion!