RE: interfiling of videos with books

Sr. Gilmary Speirs (speirs@MARYWOOD1.MARYWOOD.EDU)
Wed, 24 May 2000 12:43:44 -0700 (PDT)

When "behind the desk shelving space" for audiocassettes was too small, we
placed titles in cassette albums and intershelved them in the book
collection according to DDC. Eventually we did the same with the video
collection and patrons have accepted and used the arrangement
satisfactorily. We classify Feature Films as 790.138 so they are shelved
with related film books. Our circulation increased for these titles. For
shelf-browsers it is a delight to find media versions they didn't even know
existed. An art faculty member objected; preferred all art videos in a
separate section (not with books) but she has accepted the arrangement.
Physical package count - Audiocassettes: 6,770+
Videocassettes: 4,767+
If compact disc case size were not so small, we would also intershelve them
and move them from behind the desk. The browsing element would certainly
increase circulation. Does anyone have a browsing shelving arrangement?
Please share your solution.

Sr. Gilmary Speirs, I.H.M.
Collection Management Librarian for Non-Print
Marywood University
2300 Adams Avenue
Scranton, PA 18509-1598
E-mail: speirs@ac.marywood.edu